Resources & Referrals
Hotlines & Crisis Support
San Francisco 24-hour Suicide Prevention Line
Alameda County 24-hour Crisis Line
California Youth Crisis Line:
Huckleberry Teen Crisis Line:
Resources for Families & Schools
- Gozen: Online anxiety resources for youth GoZen! creates online social and emotional learning programs loved by kids ages 6-15, parents, professionals, and schools
- Parents Place Center for Children & Youth supports families where they live, learn, work, and play. In doing so, we aim to improve the lives of all children and families and to affect cultural change that positively impacts the destiny of the next generation
- Common Sense Media an independent voice for kids, families, and communities everywhere. We combine original research with game-changing advocacy efforts to make the digital world work better for all kids
- 50 Calm-Down Ideas to Try with Kids of All Ages provided by GoZen, this is an excellent list of quick strategies to relieve stress, ground, and regulate tension and overwhelming emotions
Gender & Sexuality Resources
- GLAAD Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation: “GLAAD works with print, broadcast and online news sources to bring people powerful stories from the LGBT community that build support for equality.”
- GLSEN Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network: “Every day GLSEN works to ensure that LGBT students are able to learn and grow in a school environment free from bullying and harassment.”
- It Gets Better Project The It Gets Better Project’s mission is to uplift, empower, and connect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) youth around the globe.
- Black Feminist Collective Black Feminist Collective is an intergenerational group that stands for Black liberation in its entirety and centers the voices of Black feminists and womanists.
Recommended Private Practice Therapists
Sliding Scale Therapy
- Liberation Institute sliding scale therapy in the mission ($10+, no one turned away for lack of funds, $1 available)
- Psychological Services Center sliding scale therapy and assessment services ($30+)
- New Perspectives Center for Counseling sliding scale therapy clinic in SF's Richmond district ($40+)
- Huckleberry Counseling Programs Huckleberry Youth Programs offers affordable and accessible mental health services – no one is turned away for inability to pay (Medi-Cal, $0+ sliding scale)
Books & Printable Resources
- The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness by Williams, Teasdale, Segal, & Kabat-Zinn. Includes guided mindfulness meditation audio tracks by Kabat-Zinn.
- Stress: Something we all seem to share in this day and age, though the causes of it may be different depending on our circumstances. Download the file below for a list of simple ways you can begin to ease your stress--and add your own at the end.
- Self Care: Fill out this assessment form (file below) to check in on how actively you are caring for yourself in various areas of your life.
- Emotion Faces Diagram: This helpful chart illustrates and names various emotions to help youth build emotional vocabulary and literacy. Download chart below. Courtesy of Therapist Aid.
- Weekly Motivator Worksheet: A resource provided by the University of Michigan to help remind you how to take care of yourself, follow through, and keep track of various activities that support your self-care. Credit to the Eisenberg Family Depression Center.